Who We Are
Director of Research
Loren is responsible for leading the research team and managing client support. His other responsibilities include contributing to the firm’s research publications and interfacing with industry executives.
- Columbia University – Graduate School of Journalism, MS
- Johns Hopkins University, BA
- A noted industry expert, often quoted in the financial press, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Reuters, and elsewhere, and a speaker at industry conferences
- Financial Times, 2012-2022
- Director of Research – In this role I founded and oversaw Ignites Research, a unit of the Financial Times and complement to the Ignites news site that produced original research on strategic issues in the asset management industry. I set the agenda, managed the team and helped direct the marketing efforts. I also created and ran the annual rankings of US financial advisors that appeared in the Financial Times from 2013 through 2020.
- Strategic Insight, 2007-2012
- Senior Research Analyst – Senior member of the firm’s U.S. research team, producing articles, reports sponsored white papers on trends in the U.S. investment management industry, as well as custom research for client firms; led the ETF and closed-end fund practice, and co-created the firm’s live conference business.
- Various journalism positions before 2007
- I was a business reporter and editor at numerous organizations, including Institutional Investor magazine, Business 2.0 magazine, and Dow Jones News. As a freelance writer, my work appeared in Barron’s, Salon.com, and other publications.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & BEST PROJECTS
- Advised many asset management firms on product development and distribution strategies
- Wrote the book “Enron: The Rise and Fall” (Wiley: 2002), the first reported book about the famous bankruptcy.